Monday, April 13, 2009

My Weekend

Since I was here alone Friday, I ran a few errands and treated myself to blazing noodles at Pei Wei- the second time I ever went there to eat, I asked them what was the hottest thing on the menu-- the cashier said "blazing noodles" and that's the only thing I've eaten there since!

I got my food to go since I was feeling a little guilty leaving Amos and Auggie alone knowing they would be alone all day Saturday, too. So I tried to get to bed at a decent time, but it was after 2 when I finally got to sleep. I probably would have slept through my alarm, but the dogs were jumping all over me, so I did get up on time!

Saturday I headed down to Apex for the UPS "meeting". I worked on some 1/4 inch scale kits I got last year at an estate sale I went to in Va. Kim fixed an awesome pasta dish for lunch, it had prosciutto, garlic, cream and just a little bit of marinara sauce to turn it pink. She also baked a spice cake with a fig sauce on it. When this group gets together, it seems like we all try to out cook the last person, but really, we use the group to try out new recipes. At lunch we gave Syd a birthday gift-- a magazine subscription and a kit to make a rug for her Raggedy Ann and Andy dollhouse she is working on, she was really surprised! After lunch we worked a little more on our projects. We were all invited to Maria's 50th birthday party so Pat, Syd and I stayed at Kim's until it was time to go -- we had some wine, talked and relaxed.

Maria's party was a lot of fun! We got to meet some of her quilting friends and neighbors. Maria's husband put together a video of her life-- he did such a great job--- she was born in Spain, they met in France and lived there after they were married before coming to the US. Christoph had pictures from all over Spain and France. The food was fantastic and I ate WAY to much!!

I got up Sunday morning and went to church, the choir sang the "Hallelujah Chorus" from the "Messiah". They did a good job, but in mind I was hearing the choir at Elfinwild church (where we went growing up in Pittsburgh) singing with Mrs Hargus directing and playing the organ and Dr Henderson "singing " along. One thing that surprised me was that the congregation did not stand-- I thought it was traditional to stand for the Hallelujah Chorus. We sang all the traditional Easter hymns, it was a real "feel good" service for me.

I came home and took a nap because I was supposed to be on call from 7P to 7A tonight at work. I called the charge nurse and she said she was flexing nurses down and took me off call! That made my evening! Mike brought a ham home from Myrtle Beach (all the employees at the college were given a ham the holiday-- and Marc and Kris said they didn't need 2!). So I heated the ham and made a potato casserole. The casserole has crushed cornflakes on top. As I was mixing the flakes with melted butter something didn't look right, so I tasted them-- I had grabbed Honey Bunches of Oats instead of cornflakes-- and of course, I didn't have any cornflakes. So Mike ran out to get cornflakes and dinner was delayed a bit! I'm just glad I tasted them before putting them on the potatoes!

I have to work 7p tomorrow, so it's off to bed for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Carla!!! I'm glad to see you have a blog! Maybe my Mom will start one too! I think the honey bunches of oats would have been yummy on top of the potatoes... may have to try that one sometime.